Thursday, January 27, 2011

Line VooDoo!

So have you ever been at the grocery store waiting in a long ass line for what seems to be all of eternity? I have a technique that I've been developing over the past few years that may help the next time you find yourself in this situation. My boyfriend call's it line Voodoo, I call it common sense. First off, here's a list of general things I avoid when entering a check out line.

#1. Is the person at the front of the line over the age of 55? It may seem ageist, but it seems to me that very few older people are equipped to handle such things as debit cards, pin numbers, card readers and the all around fast pace technology found at the check out line these days. Plus older people like to haggle like its the 1940's and they tend to think that its okay to write a check for 1.50 tin of cat food. 

#2. The lady with one of more screaming children. She is on an island of her own creation, dealing with the hellions she has as offspring and she is way to preoccupied thinking about how to fen off these wild beasts. She therefore has no time to be efficient at the checkout lane.

#3.The mom/grandma with coupons. She is only worried about bringing her massive shopping cart total down from three hundred dollars to thirty five. She is not at the grocery store to make any friends, she is there to Kill!...Okay, not kill, more like annoy the living shit out of you!

#4. The grumpy old curmudgeon. This guy only wants to pick a fight over any minuscule mistake."Your bruising my bananas!", "You charged me to much for my metamucil!" and so on. The world is out to get him and he knows it!  

So that's my list of things to avoid, now I'm going to tell you that my theory is just that, A theory.  9 time's out of 10 the list above is true. Same goes for the two pieces advice I'm going to give you below. These are situations that give you the green light to hop into the checkout line.

#1.If a single person (meaning they have no wedding band on.) is in line and only has food items with them, this lane is your best bet. Even if they have a fair amount of food on the conveyor they are still going to get out of there as quick as possible! They either have a life and want to get on with it, or are saving themselves from the embarrassing fact they just bought 70 cans of food for their various cats and gotta get home to watch Grey's Anatomy while they weep themselves to sleep.

#2.Okay, so I know this one is probably a no brainer but you wouldn't believe how many people pass up the lane with one person in it who has one item in their hand. Be aware of your surroundings people!

So there you have it folks, My line Voodoo. I'm always looking out for different scenarios in check out lanes and how they play out. Seeing that I am cashier I'm sure I will be able to come up with at least a few more for the future. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment